Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Supernatural

I don't believe in a god, but I also don't believe in any supernatural thing. This includes guardian angels, fate, destiny, soul mates, life after death, the "meaning of life", love at first sight, omens, signs, the power of wishing, magic, luck, karma, etc.

I do sometimes believe in ghosts because I am afraid of them. I know it makes no sense: how can I believe in ghosts when I don't believe in an afterlife? I know, I don't get it either. But it's not so much that I believe in them, I'm just afraid of them. I believe in the possibility of them. Just like I believe in the possibility of all those other things (some more than others).

But the point is that I don't actively believe in anything supernatural, which leads to a comparitively empty view of life. Why are we here? Because we evolved from a puddle of mud. Why am I here? Because my mom and dad had sex (GROSSSS) and I was successfully fertilized, gestated, and birthed. What am I supposed to do with my life? Whatever I want, but hopefully something that serves others and the world. Why do bad things happen to good people? Because shit happens. Odds. What happens after you die? Nothing. Your body disintegrates and you have no consciousness. You are eventually forgotten. What if the world is about to come to an end? Then it comes to an end, and the last few billion years are all for naught.

I am learning that other people tend to believe in a hell of a lot of supernatural elements. Even more than they realize, and probably more than they would like to admit. And I totally understand the appeal. It would be so great to believe that if you're a good person, then good things will happen to you. Or that you were put on earth for something special. Or that the bad stuff has a purpose. And especially that you can have a new life after you die. I would love to believe in these things, but I can't. I just can't lie to myself. Sure, I could be wrong about it all, but the more I experience of life the more I seem to be completely right.

In general, I enjoy seeing life for what it is. I have no delusions, I don't have to grapple with "the problem of evil" or how to appease a celestial being, or whether or not I'll get into Heaven, or whether or not I'm dating "the one", or whether or not I'm following my true path. Everything is so much simpler, I make my own decisions based on what is morally right (yes, I believe in morals), I deal with grief by accepting the fact that life is a lottery, I date whomever I think is the most compatible with me, etc. It may be empty, but it makes the most sense to me. And you'll never find me railing against the evils of homosexuality, or telling someone that they got what they deserved, or pitying someone for their lost soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment