Friday, December 19, 2008

Ahhh Friday

Ok, here's the deal. It's a Friday night and I'm sitting home alone. And I love it. People think it's weird if you stay home on the weekend. I love having time to just sit, watch a movie, read a book, paint my nails, reorganize things, etc. So tonight, I got home from work early, read some of the second Twilight book, took an awesome nap, ate some pizza, and now I'm watching some tv. I'm going to do a little cleaning and then maybe go read some more. I looove Friday nights.

Now, this whole Twilight business. I'm 25 years old. I left my angsty melodramatic fangirl days long ago. And I'm not as obsessed with this book as the normal 14 year old fans (thank god), but I am quite enjoying it. Every girl I knew was reading it and loving it, so I figured if they ALL love it, how can I not? So a friend lent me the first one, and I read pieces of it on the bus (a little embarrassed to be seen with it), enjoyed it, and then suddenly I decided one Saturday night to just read one chapter before going to sleep. Well. It just so happens that I was a little over halfway through the book at that point, which is precisely where it really picks up. Fast. I couldn't stop reading now, I just couldn't imagine getting to sleep without knowing what would happen next. So I just finished the rest that night. Despite the fact that the heroine is supremely disappointing, there are countless cringeworthy tween moments, and the principal relationship is just SLIGHTLY on the anti-feminist side, the book as a whole was thoroughly satisfying. I never just sit at home and read a book. I read often, but it's usually while riding on the bus or waiting for something. And it was great to have a reason to turn off the tv and sit quietly for a few hours. A really nice escape.

So now I've just started the second one, and though I'm not really that excited for this one (werewolves? really? I was stretching it with the vampires...), it's nice to have another story to escape to.

I've also been trying to find similar alternatives to this series, but it's really hard. Most books "like this" are either cheap romance novels, more vampire fare (which isn't THAT interesting to me), or even cheesier tween fiction. I just want another book that lets me escape into a fun, new world, while also being fairly well written. Like Pride and Prejudice. Only more modern. (NOT Bridget Jones Diary. Puh-leeze.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I don't read fiction. I write it. But my mom gave me these three books that my brother gave her. My dad even liked them. They're a trilogy by Neal Stephenson called "The Baroque Cycle". They include "The Confusion", "The System of the World", and "Quicksilver". I did read an article about him in WIRED magazine (issue 16.09 "Neal Stephenson, Sci-Fi Superstar" pg. 104) where he talks about his latest book, "Anathem" which sounds really cool and I might actually consider reading if I did read fiction. I just thought I would let you know. arrivederci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks man! I've heard of Anathem, but hadn't heard of the trilogy. I'll check those out.

    ReplyDelete